Tuesday, August 30, 2011

September 8, 2005 - Good Harbor Beach, Gloucester, MA

It's hurricane season! I met Larry after work and we carpooled to Gloucester on this dry sunny day. We didn't get there until about 5:30 and surfed until after the sun set when we were cold. This was long range ground swell from hurricane Maria which was giving all of New England good surf. Winds were light out of the south, so it was kind of bumpy and choppy, but there were definitely big sets in between the chop. Waves started out about waist high then it flattened out for 15 min and then it suddenly picked up with some real cleanup sets (head high?). There were times when you had to watch out for the big sets and not get caught inside. I had to jump ship a bunch of times and just dive under the big ones. I caught some nice lefts and caught one nice right where I cruised past Larry. My best ride was a wave that I got into way up on the peak and dropped in nice for a left. The wave just kept reforming and I had a nice long powerful left ride on the face. I thought I was going to have an easy dismount, but I just got piledrivin' into the ocean as the wave closed out on me. There were quite a few people out even after the sun set. Probably one of my funnest sessions at Good Harbor. I forgot to take pictures until we were leaving and it was dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment