Monday, August 29, 2011

June 4, 2002 - South of Lahaina, Maui, HI

This started off as nightmare trying as we had these gift certificates for free surfboard rentals at Boss Frogs. We went to the Boss Frogs in Lahaina and had to wait like a half hour for anyone to even acknowledge our presence, only to say they had no boards. So we checked out the other Boss Frogs about 10 miles north. Long wait and no dice there either. So we had them call the store in Kahei who had an 8 foot fiberglass board. So we drove the 40 minutes there for more bad service and finally got our rental. So, on to surfing....We went back up the coast at the area south of Lahaina which had a lot of cool breaks that weren't overly crowded. Surfed for about an hour and half at a spot where there was only a couple people out. The waves were pretty good. About waist to chest and crumbly. I caught some nice rides with a local cheering me on. We then went to a spot slightly north where there were more people and a stone shore. The waves were bigger and I was trying to get Laura out there on here boggie board, but to no luck. I caught a couple and got pummeled by a couple. The best and scariest ride I had was on a clean chest high wave where I was zipping by people and I could see the reef below through the clear water. We went to another spot up the coast that seemed to be even bigger. At some point in the day, I ended up cutting my foot on the reef below. Overall the biggest waves of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment