Tuesday, August 30, 2011

July 17, 2004 - Coastguard Beach, Eastham, MA

Forget Costa Rica...we have Cape Cod! This was part of our camping trip at Nickerson SP with the McKeons. Scotty V. Met us at about 11:00 AM. There had been a low off the coast for days giving a south swell. Ving got the surf report from Pumphouse which said knee-waist occ. chest. At the entrance we asked the park ranger how the surf was, and he said knee-thigh and mushy. Ok, this guy couldn't have been more wrong. We get there and its consistent waist high with chest high sets and clean with a 10 mph offshore SW wind. There were hardly any surfers in the 55 degree water too. Even though it was sunny and in the 80s, I'm glad I brought my full suit. We get out there and it is AWESOME! The waves are perfectly formed peelers and super easy to catch. I have never caught so many rides and so many good long rides in one surf session! I must have got 30 rides, rights, lefts, some of them real long like 12 seconds on the face of the wave, even did some carving. If you crouched really low on the biggest waves, you could almost get tubed. We surfed for over 3 hours and I wanted to surf more, but we had to leave. There were a bunch of those boxy headed seals not far from us either. I think there were actually more boogie boarders out than surfers. It was awesome, you could move to any location and still get great long waves. My WRV worked AWESOME in this surf. I wish it was like this every day. I'll even be bold enough to say that this was probably my best day surfing ever of anywhere I've been!!

No comments:

Post a Comment