Tuesday, August 30, 2011

July 14, 2004 - Deveroux Beach, Marblehead, MA

OK I've found the secret to NE winds with solid SE swell. Deveroux Beach faces almost due south like the Newport Beaches. Scott had gone to Hampton and said the waves were messy and disorganized, so the Deveroux light bulb went on in my head...figured I give it a try. This was part of a long cloudy, misty 65 degree week. I couldn't believe how awesome it looked when we got there!! These were absolutely perfect conditions. It was about waist-chest high, 10 mph NE offshore winds, easy paddle out, no crazy currents, and beautifully formed pealers! There was an area off to the left and far out where a bunch of people were crowded in, but I chose to go in right off the parking lot where only a couple young squirts were out. I caught a nice left within the first 60 seconds of surfing which Laura got a nice photo of (above). I must have caught about 10 nice rides, a mixture of rights and lefts. My area started to get crowded with a bunch of people, so I missed some perfect opps, but I had one ride where the wave crashed behind me and pushed me farther. My 7' WRV was the perfect board for these conditions. I wouldn't have wanted a long board today. Felt like leftover hurricane swell. Poor Ving! One of the funnest solo surf sessions I've had. AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment