Monday, October 20, 2014

October 18, 2014 - Devereaux Beach, Marblehead, MA

Great to finally get back out there this fall.   Swell from Hurricane Gonzalo this weekend and I wanted to find a somewhat protected spot.  Hadn't been to Devereaux in 10 years when I had a nice July session.  The rest of the family went to Gillette for umass game, although I wish they came with.  Had to fight traffic through Salem to get there and when I did get there, I initially had that " I screwed up by coming here" feeling.  There was only one person out surfing in the one area that was breaking, so instead of trucking up to Gloucester, I gave it a shot.  This was the first time I brought both boards with me, but I used the long board.  It was a bit choppy but I was glad I stayed.  It was mostly waist high, but there definitely some bigger sets coming through.  The south wind provided a workout to paddle out.  I caught a few nice rides, but the waves didn't have quite the kick.  I nose dove on 4 in a row because I think it was hard to get in these kind of waves with a long board.  Two other kids came out and surfed after the first guy left, and they were gone in 20 minutes.  I was completely alone for about a half hour and it was kind of creepy.  After I saw a distance flash of lightning I decided it was time to get out and I caught the best wave of the day a chest high left.  Boots, but no gloves needed.  Surf looked even better the next day, but strong NW winds.  First photo is from when the tide came in after the waves flattened out.

No comments:

Post a Comment